Saturday, April 15, 2017

We Have Freedom

We’re always complaining about the lack of control we have over our lives. We “gotta pay taxes”, “we gotta follow the road rules”, “we gotta do what the government says”, and so on.

Actually, there are countless moments of choice in our everyday lives. We can say ‘good morning’ or keep our head down and walk past without a glance; we can say that mean word or withhold it; we can judge someone harshly or give them some leeway; we can take out our frustrations on others or step back, take a deep breath and ‘get over it.’

In all these instances, the way we behave is totally in our control. Nobody is commanding us to do one thing over the other. Even God has given us the freedom to choose. Sure, He tells us what to do and what not to do, but has left the decision to act or not to act in our hands. I find it empowering to know that I have the free will to choose what I want to do, when I want to do it.

Of course, this is not to say that there are no influences on our behaviour outside ourselves. There are celebrities, actors, pop stars, athletes, and our own peers, all who tell us in commercials, movies, television shows, music videos, and one-on-ones, what we should do in certain situations. But even here whether we listen to their suggestions or not is our choice. We have the freedom to say, “sorry mate, but I think your way of doing things is not right.”

On reflection, then, we do have a lot of control over our lives. May God grant us guidance and wisdom in our choices. Aameen.         

No comments:

Post a Comment