Modesty
The modest person doesn’t
speak
His actions speak for him
O Ego!
O crafty nuisance!
Bringer of selfish need
You’ve challenged me ever since
I made you the steed
Distracting me from remembrance
Of the Almighty One
Dissuading me from inheritance
Of the sweet, beloved son*
Claiming to be my companion
But in my time of need
Deserted me in the canyon
Of deadly lust and greed
Leading me along roads
That were never-ending dead ends
Depressing abodes
Without purpose or friends
You came to me in sleep
And when I was awake
A moment alone I’d keep
But for your selfish sake
Fame and wealth you urged me reap
Bonds you caused me to sever
Eyes you made weep
You found me weak, I found you clever
Then one day I awoke
By repenting with regret
To the All-Forgiving I spoke
Straight my affairs He set
Your insinuations I began to fight
Seeing the world anew
My heart became white
Many faults became a few
Now I reach for the misbaha**
Before I move to sin
The Truth is seen from afar
Look from without to see within
I’ll taste the benefits in the second
With my heart alight with love
I’ll sail to the palaces that beckon
In the Heavens above
*Beloved son refers to the Prophet Muhammad. Not in the sense of being a begotten son, but a son in the sense of being a creation of the Creator.
**Misbaha: rosary beads
No comments:
Post a Comment