Saturday, December 17, 2016

Arrogance: Stumbling Block on the Spiritual Path

The spiritual path to God is littered with stumbling blocks. A common stumbling block seekers of God face is thinking of oneself as better than others. This thought is forbidden or harām in Islamic law. One may come up with musings like “I’ve taken the hand of so-and-so shaykh, look how important I am because of my association;” or “Look at him, he hasn’t even read a book on Sufism. He probably doesn’t even know who Imam al-Ghazali is. I’ve read all of the Ihya Ulum-id-Deen;” or “Look at how much I pray, recite Qur’an, and how many du’aas I’ve memorised; aren’t I great!”

The protection against such thoughts or the cure once they occur is to check on oneself before checking on others. Each of us has plenty of things we could remedy. We all have weaknesses to work on. We are far from perfect. Thus, we are all equal in this sense.

By working on ourselves and becoming people of God we not only help ourselves but provide an example to others. States and actions speak louder than words.

May God protect us from looking down on others. May we have concern for rectifying ourselves. Aameen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment