I fell in love with Cairo in 2007/2008 when I was here for ten months.
Its smells, its sights, its people, its larger than life character swept me off
my feet. Well, this time it’s different. The magnificent city hasn’t swept me
off my feet, as the sights and sounds are familiar. However, I feel a certain
peace, like I’m back home – my second home.
In a previous post I mentioned a reason why I think Cairo is called “Umm ad-Dunya” (Mother of the World). Let me mention another reason. Cairo is like a mother in the sense that its arms are open and welcoming. It is generous and cheerful, always ready to look after a new face. It doesn’t chew you up and spit you out like other cities. Rather, it invites you to join the family. And what a big family it is!
Thus, I’m in love with Cairo all over again. Surprise, surprise, I’ve
composed a poem to celebrate this love.
Ode to Cairo
When I saw your sandy face
From high up above
My heart skipped a beat
Because I was returning to my
love
When I ride the micro-bus
On your crazy lane-less streets
I say a little prayer
In case the Angel of Death I meet
When I feel your gentle touch
Among twenty million brethren
Each stranger familiar
Every Egyptian my best friend
When I hear your call to prayer
From a thousand minarets
It is a taste of Heaven
About as good as it gets
Who can always raise a smile
My heart melts
And overflows like the Nile
When I visit a shrine
Of one of your saints
My spirit awakens
A million feelings it paints
And when I pray the morning
prayer
And tilt my head low
I raise my hands high
And thank God for Cairo
Subhannallah.
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of a story...
Habib Faisal narrated a situation where two men in Egypt went to visit a big Sheikh. The Sheikh asked the first man "how do you find Egypt?" and he replied "It is really bad -all I see is badness and Fitnah!" The Sheikh replied you have spoke the truth. Then the second man was asked by the Sheikh and he replied "subhanAllah Egypt is amazing its full of awliyah and pious people and the graves of the great!", the Sheikh said you have spoke the truth. When the first man went back to the Sheikh he said "Oh Sheikh why did you lie to me - you told me I spoke the truth and you told him he spoke the truth but how can they both be true?"
The Sheikh replied you came for a holiday all you saw was badness he came with pure intentions and for Khair and all he saw was Khair and Barakah, so you were both true.
Habib Faisal explained, you see according to what your intention is.
May Cairo return your love, ameen.
Jazaki Allah khayran for that story. Yours is the very first comment on this blog!
DeleteMabrook on your first comment in that case! MashaAllah this post deserved a comment, it was beautiful.
DeleteWhen I pass your street kids
Who can always raise a smile
My heart melts
And overflows like the Nile
When I visit a shrine
Of one of your saints
My spirit awakens
A million feelings it paints
^ What stunning imagery mashaAllah!