I often wonder about
identity. It’s a complex issue. Layers of history, ethnicity, geography, and
religion. We all belong to multiple groups. I, for example, belong to the
Australian, Fijian-Indian, Muslim, and Generation X groups. I admit a fair bit
of confusion during my teens as to which of these groups I belonged to. Now,
much older (and wiser I hope) I’ve settled into belonging to all. My
personality is a harmonious blend of these groups, and I’m content with where
and when I was born, my family background, and the faith and religion I
profess.
But as I reflect
about identity now there is one identity that rises above the others, and
that’s the “God” identity. You may think that the “Muslim” identity would be
adequate; why add a “God” identity?
My response is
this...
We all identify with
our parents because they were such an important part of who we are. We are
connected to them for life since we came from them. In this same sense we are
connected to God as we were created from Him. Thus, while not a part of Him or
an extension of Him in some sense we do “come” from Him. This idea is supported
by the Qur’anic words, "We surely belong to Allah and to Him we shall
return" (Chapter 2, Verse 156). We can only return to something that we
originally came from, or return to a place that we once were at. For this
reason, I believe all humans should identify first and foremost with God.
May God give us the
ability to truly identify with Him, by being “godly” people through practising
spirituality and ethics. Aameen.
No comments:
Post a Comment