Dr Scott Peck writes in Further Along the Road Less Travelled that “. . . we cannot get to
God under our own power. We can get to God only with God pulling us up” (p.
106). Many, if not most, people, feel that they can direct their spiritual
journey. “If only I attend that retreat.” “If only I do some meditation.” “If
only I read books written by the mystics.” “If only I give bay’ah* to that shaykh.” The spiritual journey to God doesn’t
depend on any of these things, but depends on God. After all, He is the director. One can meet all the
spiritual guides, attend all the retreats, do meditation, and read all the
books one wants and not make true progress. True progress comes when one
submits to God’s will, when one becomes like clay being formed by the Creator,
how He wills. As Dr Peck writes about the spiritual journey: “Be willing to be
surprised by forces beyond your control, and realize that a major learning on
the journey is the art of surrender” (p. 107).
May God grant us knowledge in the art of
surrender in order to submit to being pulled up by Him. Aameen.
No comments:
Post a Comment