Saturday, November 7, 2015

All Welcome

One of the great things about my parents is that they have many non-Indian friends. Growing up, I had a Peggy Nani (grandma), Bill Nana (grand dad), Maria Aunty, Coral Aunty,  Snow Uncle, Frank Uncle, and Patrick Uncle. Bringing these people into my life is one of the best things my parents did. I remember the holidays, birthday parties, presents, and laughs. It's been a while, but every so often I look through our photo album (remember those) to see these people's smiling faces with me on their laps. 

It's a blessing to have had these people in my life because it's given me a broader perspective on the human race. It's made it easier for me to connect with people who don't look like me or talk like me. Moreover, I don't believe only people who look like me or sound like me are going to Heaven. I believe that non-Muslims as well as Muslims will have access to God in the Afterlife (by access I mean His love and forgiveness). It's not that one must have non-Muslim friends to have compassion for non-Muslims, but it sure helps. 

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of God be upon him) is reported to have said: “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself” (Bukhârî, Muslim). Muslim Scholars are in agreement that "brother" here means all humans. If we love that we are guided by God to Islam then we should want all people to be guided by God to Islam. God is big enough for all the people on the planet. Instead of putting limits on who can come to God, we should be inviting everyone. The Persian Muslim poet Rumi had an open door policy, as captured in the following words:

           Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshipper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. 
                    Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a
                                            thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment