Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sky Watching

I love gazing at the sky. On Sunny days there are varying shades of blue and tufts of white. On overcast days there are swirls of white amongst seas of grey. 

It is certainly true that my head is 'in the clouds.' I don't mind being thought of as a bit kooky for this. To be a kook for sky watching is like being praised for stating the obvious. The sky is obviously there, it is obviously real, and it is obviously beautiful (to me at least), who wouldn't want to look at it? If I was given the choice to look at the sky or look at a beautiful face, I'd choose the sky.


Often, when I look at the sky my thoughts turn to God. The Prophet David (peace be upon him) said the following: "The Heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands" (Psalm 19). It is said in the Qur'an, in reference to disbelievers: "Do they not look at the sky above them? (50: 6). Indeed, it is as though the sky is a veil shielding God from the sight of the creatures on Earth; there is just enough to make out the existence of something behind the veil, but you just can't be sure exactly what it is. I feel that the clouds in the sky are telling us a message. They couldn't be the way they are by accident. I've yet to figure out what the messages are, but I'll continue to try to read them. 

Here's a short poem about the sky:

Sky
A carpet that changes colour
Sometimes grey, sometimes blue
A veil of mystery
Hidden rays send a clue
Of something beyond
The Sun and the Moon
Twinkling stars
Smiling down in tune
Who's behind it all?
Looking at me and you

No comments:

Post a Comment